As usual, I've been a busy boy, especially regarding podcasts. I have three podcasts I want to launch, and when the The Magazine finishes its run in three weeks, I'll be gearing up to work on all of those. In the meantime, I'm recording all over and filing articles like mad, too. (I've got three more articles queued up that should run later this week at Macworld, the Economist, and Six Colors.)
- "The crashing price of storage" (Six Colors, Nov. 25): I renewed my CrashPlan backup subscription for another couple of years, even as storage prices drop precipitously.
- "Serial offenders plague Twitter" (Boing Boing, Nov. 14): how the platform could fix its harassment problem.
"Let the right one in: Apple uses two doors to manage malware" (Private I column, Macworld, Nov. 13)
- "iOS's first major malware challenge" (Boing Boing, Nov. 11): It's a serious exploit, but not one that can easily be exploited.
- "iCloud Drive is backing up files you haven't saved yet" (Private I column, Macworld, Nov. 6): I run down how Apple once again needs to disclose better where your data is going, even though it's not engaged in untoward activity.
- A pair of satellite articles at the Economist: Digital Globe, America's largest by-far satellite imagery provider, has a potentially rough path ahead, eased by government contracts; Digital Globe and Skybox offer imagery for academics and social good.
Recent podcast appearances:
- Random Trek, "Collective" from Voyager, back in August. This is Scott McNulty's bold project to randomly go through every episode across all Star Trek series and movies.
- The Incomparable has split up its radio-play specials into bite-sized servings as The Incomparable Radio Theater! Listen to me as Nicola Tesla, with as good a Serbian accent as I can muster, in Two-Fisted Tales of Tesla (show episodes 0.2 and 0.5). You can also hear me with an exceptionally plummy accident in 0.1 as a character in The Fog.
- Jason Snell and Dan Moren had Jacqui Cheng and me as guests on Clockwise episode 63 (Nov. 20). It's a strict 30-minute format. In a separately available bonus question, I explain the joys of the Bed Buddy.
- Jason and I recorded a new episode of The Periodicalist, my irregular show about the future of publishing. In "Episode IV: A New Beginning," we talk about how a company with all the advantages of IDG fell into the innovator's dilemma, me shutting down The Magazine, and Jason booting up several new efforts in his new career.
- On the Incomparable's main podcast, I appear in episode 220, "Authentic Cop Mustache," discussing webcomics; and episode 221, "Do the Hand-Wavy Thing," rounding up the recent Doctor Who season. Listen to the extra for episode 221, "Gerbils and Tamagotchis."
- I appeared on MedaTwits, a PBS videocast/podcast, on Nov. 14 to talk about new models for long-form journalism.