In the spirit of collecting my work across many sites, here's the latest in Glenn!
How Terrible In-Flight Wi-Fi Will Finally Become A Thing Of The Past (Fast Company): A rundown on the near-term and longer-term improvements to service that will boost current offerings a few Mbps to closer to 100 Mbps and beyond.
I, for one, welcome our new newsletter and podcast overlords (Six Colors): Podcasts and email newsletters are something you want, and something you allow into your inbox or ears. With the monetization of small-scale blogs faltering, the revenue model beyond subscription newsletters and sponsorship/patronage of podcasts seem to be one of the most interesting paths for sustainable, independent idea spreading.
Will your new MacBook crash to the ground without MagSafe? (Yes.) I did a deep dive at Macworld into the physics of a laptop being yanked off a surface by a cable, after the introduction of a non-MagSafe Mac laptop. I talked to an industrial designer, an aerospace engineer, a consulting engineer, an astrophysicist, and a computer scientist/futurist/sci-fi author.
- Hey, I have a book! A Practical Guide to Networking and Security in iOS 8 is a guide through all issues with setting up and using networks and encryption/security options for your iPhone and iPad with step-by-step illustration instructions. I managed this revision myself, and since you read this far, you can get 25% off the $15 price for the ebook (no DRM, all major formats included) with coupon code E18CFOG.
- I'm the weekly co-host of the Macworld Podcast, and you can listen to our latest from just after the Apple event, with Macworld executive editor Susie Ochs detailing her hands-on experience with the Apple Watch and the new MacBook.
- Marketplace Tech Report had me on to briefly discuss the issues of Hillary Clinton's email server—which apparently wasn't in a data center, but in her home or Bill Clinton's office.
- As part of a new local series of podcasts I'm developing, you can listen to John Moltz and I talk Minecraft from a recent taping at Ada's Technical Books and Café. John is the co-author of The Visual Guide to Minecraft (Peachpit Press).
- Chuck Joiner had me on the podcast/videocast MacVoices series to talk about networking and security in iOS 8, and we got deep into privacy and safety, too.